Sunday, February 24, 2013

Winter is almost over


The letter from the editor in a recent issue of Dressage Today noted that February (and I may supplement 'February' for 'winter in general') is an excellent time to reflect on your progress in the last year and your goals for the upcoming season. 

I have given myself a very hard time this season, thinking that since I have access to an indoor arena, I should be covering a lot more ground. If you're similarly perfectionist, join me in a chorus of "stop it." Just because you have an indoor arena doesn't mean you can, or even SHOULD, be riding! 

Since December, the majority of my riding has been lessons, which happen once or twice a week. Sometimes those get cancelled because the temperature goes below 20F. There is a spirit in me that wants to say eff it, we're riding anyway but no! It's cold, it's painful, it's hard to ride effectively if you can't feel your hands or feet. And let's not forget that this is a sport utilizing a living being as your partner who probably feels just as meh about the cold as you do. Other days, it's hard to imagine leaving the coziness of your home to do anything other than a quick visit to hug your horse or do a chore or two. Some days I just cannot imagine doing any riding work, so if you're not in it, why bother? 


Much like being students in a proper school, a break every so often is good for the psyche and good for the learning. Take time to absorb and reevaluate. That's what I'm doing now. 

So here's a synopsis: 
This winter, so far--
Cheyenne moved into a full board situation. Luckily, I also got a raise. While it's a larger financial commitment, there are some really great benefits. Higher quality hay and more precise feeding means she's lost some bulk. Since we still work, she looks very healthy, too. She is highly enjoying the diva treatment and letting it get to her head. 

We have managed to improve our canter immensely. I've been focusing on my posture and we, together, have worked on balance and bending and as a result we're seeing a lot better work at the canter. I think I must owe this in part to watching her free-lunge in the arena.. I'm working on a blog entry about the value of that exercise. 

We're bonding a lot. She's happier in this full board pasture situation, or at least more grateful. I spend time just with her in the pasture, rubbing her neck and giving treats. We play together in the arena. She trusts me more, she follows me without a lead rope and she has been more likely to listen to me than to rebel. 

We've made a lot of progress. We hear constantly about how good we look together, and I am overwhelmed with pride when I'm told I personally have done very correct work with her. My trainer, barn owner and her previous owner hopped on her recently and was very impressed. I can't tell you how good it feels to have this reassurance. 

As for the year ahead--
I would like to try Cheyenne barefoot. This summer was loaded with tripping, ungraceful moves and lameness. The shoes came off in October and we all thought it would get worse... but no, she got better. I always suspected barefoot would be a better way to go. Unfortunately I am still working out a trimming schedule, so she has had some awkward times adjusting to hoof length. They may have overgrown a little, then got a lot shorter. I am hoping to get her on a regular schedule that fits her hoof growth, and I'm also researching natural hoof trimmers. I love my farrier, but I don't know how familiar he is with barefoot horses. 

I just don't feel like jumping. I'm not sure if that means I should absolutely, definitely be jumping or if I should respect that and avoid it. For whatever reason, this time in my life is just not one that supports anything with increased risk. That said, it is pretty damn fun and I don't want to miss out so I am thinking of riding a more schoolmaster horse for a few lessons so I can more comfortably bring Cheyenne over fences--she enjoys it, she gets excited to do it, but my nervousness and her occasional lack of grace makes it iffy. 

Mostly, I want to get over my fearful bullshit about silly things. I want to do dressage tests beautifully, but I also don't really want to show! I am most concerned with keeping Cheyenne in a frame and on the bit, especially through transitions. While I'd like to focus on a bigger picture, I think I need to break it down to small things. So for now: transitions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment