Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lazy Evening Stroll

I'm well aware that both Cheyenne and I need to focus on conditioning. I'm working a 45 hour a week job, and I know it could be worse, but it's really kicking my ass and putting a huge damper on quality time with Cheyenne.

She really needs work every day, and really, I really need her everyday.

But today was such a hot day, and such a frustrating and long day. I wanted to be with her but I didn't feel like tacking up or asking much under saddle. I decided to take her for a walk. You know, like a dog.

She's got spookiness issues and immense attachment issues to the barn. That's a long story I have to explain, but it's shaken my confidence enough that there are times when the relationship is anything but productive. I want to change that, because I love this horse so much, and we could grow so much from it.

So we went for a walk, which she wasn't thrilled about, but she got to munch on some beautiful lush grass a bit down the driveway. When we got back to the barn, my lovely riding coach's boyfriend had left me summer squash in a plastic bag, which Cheyenne sufficiently panicked about.

It was a beautiful and easy moment to work on bombproofing her. She didn't love it, and she freaked out a couple of times, but she eventually let me rub the plastic bag all over her. And only gave me a shitty look. It's a step.

No comments:

Post a Comment